SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Toronto
Case Number: 19-TVD-144
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-TVD-144
- At approximately 7 p.m. on June 22, 2019, TPS officers were investigating a vehicle in a plaza parking lot located east of Scarborough Golf Club Road and Lawrence Avenue East.
- During this investigation, the vehicle of interest fled from the plaza and officers followed it.
- In the intersection of Scarborough Golf Club Road and Lawrence Avenue East, the vehicle struck another vehicle.
- The 77-year-old driver of the vehicle that was struck was pronounced dead at the scene. A passenger from that vehicle – a 74-year-old woman – was taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. No one from the vehicle being investigated sustained serious injuries.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342