SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting in Scarborough
Case Number: 19-TFD-147
- In the evening hours of June 25, 2019, Toronto Police Service officers were investigating the driver of a vehicle.
- At approximately 8 p.m. in the area of Midland Avenue and Midwest Road, the officers attempted to stop the vehicle.
- Instead, the vehicle moved forward and struck an officer.
- Another police officer discharged his firearm at the vehicle multiple times and the man was struck.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
- The police officer who was struck by the vehicle was transported to hospital for treatment of unknown injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342