SIU Investigating Collision in Niagara Falls
Case Number: 19-PVI-153
- In the early afternoon hours of June 27, 2019, an Ontario Provincial Police officer began following a vehicle of interest southbound on Drummond Road. Earlier, there had been complaints regarding how the vehicle was being operated.
- In the area of Drummond Road and Symmes Street, the vehicle of interest left the roadway, struck a parked vehicle and then crashed into a business located at 6293 Drummond Road.
- As a result of the collision, a 34-year-old woman who had been in the building sustained serious injuries. She was transported to hospital for treatment. Another individual in the building sustained minor injuries.
- The driver of the vehicle did not sustain any serious injuries. She was arrested on the premises.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342