SIU Investigating Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Whitby
Case Number: 19-OVD-157
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-157
- On the evening of June 29, 2019, a Durham Regional Police Service officer was operating radar on Highway 407 at Salem Road in Pickering when he observed a motorcycle traveling eastbound at a high rate of speed.
- The officer followed the motorcycle.
- A short time later, the motorcycle became involved in a single vehicle collision on the off ramp at Baldwin Street.
- The 28-year-old male driver of the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342