SIU Investigating Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Whitby
Case Number: 19-OVD-157
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-157
- On the evening of June 29, 2019, a Durham Regional Police Service officer was operating radar on Highway 407 at Salem Road in Pickering when he observed a motorcycle traveling eastbound at a high rate of speed.
- The officer followed the motorcycle.
- A short time later, the motorcycle became involved in a single vehicle collision on the off ramp at Baldwin Street.
- The 28-year-old male driver of the motorcycle was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342