SIU Investigating Fatal Multi-Vehicle Collision in Ottawa
Case Number: 19-OVD-161
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-161
- In the early afternoon hours of July 7, 2019, the Ottawa Police Service and the Ontario Provincial Police were conducting an investigation when they observed a vehicle of interest being operated by a 36-year-old man on Highway 17.
- In the area of Highway 417 and Panmure Road, the vehicle of interest became involved in a collision with another vehicle. The drivers of both vehicles – the 36-year-old man and a 62-year-old woman – were pronounced dead at the scene.
- Other vehicles were involved in the collision. Two individuals from those vehicles were transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342