SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Kingston
Case Number: 19-OCD-169
- At approximately 1:30 p.m. on July 23, 2019, Kingston Police officers were dispatched to the Harvey’s restaurant located on Princess Street in relation to how a man in the restaurant was behaving.
- When officers arrived on scene, they located the man in the restroom area and took him into custody.
- The man was transported to hospital where he went vital signs absent and was subsequently pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342