SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Peterborough
Case Number: 19-OFD-170
- At approximately 10:30 p.m. on July 23, 2019, police officers near Millbrook began to follow a vehicle of interest – being operated by Mr. Shea – on Highway 115.
- Shortly after, in the area of Highway 115 and The Parkway in Peterborough, the vehicle became involved in a collision with another civilian vehicle.
- Officers approached, and an interaction ensued between them and Mr. Shea.
- One officer discharged his firearm and Mr. Shea was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342