SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Brantford
Case Number: 19-OFI-177
- At approximately 10 a.m. on July 31, 2019, Brantford Police Service officers were dispatched to a residence on Ava Road after receiving a call from a man in distress.
- Upon the officers arriving at the residence, the man drove away in a vehicle and the officers followed him to the area of Pearl Street and St. James Street.
- Soon after the man exited the vehicle, there was an interaction and two officers discharged their firearms. The man was struck multiple times.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. He is in critical condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342