SIU Investigating Incident in London after Man Sets Self on Fire
Case Number: 19-OCI-179
- At approximately 1 p.m. on August 2, 2019, an individual called 911 to report that there was a man in distress outside the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada office located at 417 Exeter Road.
- Officers arrived at the scene and attempted to communicate with the man who was threatening to harm himself.
- Two officers fired plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man.
- The man then set himself on fire.
- Firefighters, who were already on scene, were able to extinguish the fire, and the man was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342