SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Chatham
Case Number: 19-OCD-183
- At approximately 7 p.m. on August 6, 2019, Emergency Medical Services attended a residence in the area of Victoria Avenue and Grand Avenue East to tend to a man in medical distress.
- Due to the man's behaviour, paramedics requested Chatham-Kent Police Service officers also attend for assistance.
- The man was transported to the hospital in an ambulance with the police.
- Shortly after arriving at the hospital, the man went vital signs absent and was later pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342