SIU Investigating Discharge of Firearm by Police Officer in Mississauga
Case Number: 19-OFI-192
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFI-192
- At approximately 2:45 p.m. on August 13, 2019, officers with Peel Regional Police were dispatched to a residence in the area of White Clover Way and Mavis Road for a weapons-related call.
- Officers witnessed an interaction between a woman and a 29-year-old man, and then the man fled on foot.
- On Sandford Farm Drive, the man entered an unoccupied police cruiser. As he drove away, a police officer discharged his firearm at the cruiser.
- The man abandoned the cruiser on Idlewilde Crescent, stole a civilian vehicle and fled the scene.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342