SIU Investigating Fatal Motorcycle Collision in Welland
Case Number: 19-OVD-196
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-196
- Around noon on August 16, 2019, a Niagara Regional Police Service officer was traveling westbound on Woodlawn Road when he observed a motorcycle traveling eastbound on Woodlawn Road at a high rate of speed.
- The officer made a U-turn and began following the motorcycle.
- At the intersection of Woodlawn Road and River Road, the motorcycle became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle.
- The motorcycle operator succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342