Man Dies after Fall from Overpass in Mississauga; SIU Investigating
Case Number: 19-OCD-213
- At approximately 4:30 a.m. on September 6, 2019, Peel Regional Police officers responded to the area of Derry Road where it passes over Highway 410 as they received a report of a man acting in a suspicious manner.
- Soon after two officers exited their cruisers, the man fell from the overpass, landing on a van traveling in the southbound lanes of the highway below.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
- The driver of the van was able to get out of the vehicle before it caught on fire. The van driver did not sustain any serious injury but was taken to hospital for assessment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342