SIU Investigating Death of Man in Malton
Case Number: 19-OCD-219
- At approximately 9 p.m. on September 10, 2019, Peel Regional Police officers responded to a residence on Morningstar Drive for a domestic call.
- At the residence, officers became involved in an interaction with a man which involved the use of a conducted energy weapon.
- The man went vital signs absent and was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342