SIU Investigating Death of Man in Malton
Case Number: 19-OCD-219
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OCD-219
- At approximately 9 p.m. on September 10, 2019, Peel Regional Police officers responded to a residence on Morningstar Drive for a domestic call.
- At the residence, officers became involved in an interaction with a man which involved the use of a conducted energy weapon.
- The man went vital signs absent and was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342