SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Kingston
Case Number: 19-OFD-222
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFD-222
- At approximately 2 p.m. on September 12, 2019, in the area of Queen Street and Bagot Street, a Kingston Police officer came upon a 22-year-old man assaulting another individual.
- Additional police officers arrived.
- There was an interaction between officers and the man, and one officer discharged his firearm, resulting in the man being struck.
- Soon after the man began harming himself with a knife, a second police officer discharged his conducted energy weapon.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342