SIU Investigating Fatal Vehicle Collision in New Tecumseth
Case Number: 19-PVD-229
- At approximately 11:40 p.m. on September 16, 2019, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was operating a police vehicle in the New Tecumseth area when he observed a Pontiac. The officer began to follow this vehicle.
- In the area of 20th Sideroad and 5th Line, the Pontiac became involved in a collision with a Volkswagen.
- Two women from the Volkswagen – the 23-year-old driver and 36-year-old passenger – were taken to hospital for treatment. The passenger was later pronounced dead in hospital. A woman passenger from the Pontiac was also taken to hospital for treatment of injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342