SIU Investigating Fatal Vehicle Collision in New Tecumseth
Case Number: 19-PVD-229
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PVD-229
- At approximately 11:40 p.m. on September 16, 2019, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was operating a police vehicle in the New Tecumseth area when he observed a Pontiac. The officer began to follow this vehicle.
- In the area of 20th Sideroad and 5th Line, the Pontiac became involved in a collision with a Volkswagen.
- Two women from the Volkswagen – the 23-year-old driver and 36-year-old passenger – were taken to hospital for treatment. The passenger was later pronounced dead in hospital. A woman passenger from the Pontiac was also taken to hospital for treatment of injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342