SIU Investigating Collision in Matheson
Case Number: 19-PVI-236
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PVI-236
- At approximately 11:20 a.m. on September 24, 2019, the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) received a complaint of a vehicle being driven erratically on Highway 11 near Matheson.
- An OPP officer traveling northbound on the highway spotted the vehicle traveling southbound and the officer made a U-turn to follow the vehicle.
- A short time later in the area of Highway 11 and 101 West, the vehicle became involved in a head-on collision with a truck.
- The driver of the vehicle was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. The truck driver did not sustain any serious injury.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342