SIU Investigating After Man Enters Lake Nipissing and Goes Missing
Case Number: 19-OOD-240
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OOD-240
- At approximately 5:50 p.m. on October 1, 2019, North Bay Police Service officers were dispatched to the area of Main Street West and Memorial Drive after receiving a report of a vehicle being driven erratically.
- Prior to police arrival, the vehicle became involved in a single motor vehicle collision in the area of Jet Avenue and 10th Street. Both occupants of the vehicle fled on foot, with the 20-year-old male driver heading towards Lake Nipissing.
- When police, fires services and EMS arrived on scene, the man entered the lake. Despite repeated requests for the man to get out of the water, the man swam further from shore. Emergency personnel lost sight of him.
- Efforts are continuing to be made to locate the man, including assistance from the OPP Marine Unit.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342