SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Etobicoke
Case Number: 19-PFI-247
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PFI-247
- At approximately 1:45 p.m. on October 9, 2019, Ontario Provincial Police officers attempted to stop a Mercedes-Benz sedan in the area of Berry Road and Cloverhill Road as the 26-year-old driver was wanted on an outstanding warrant.
- When the man drove towards a police cruiser, an OPP officer discharged his firearm multiple times at the Mercedes-Benz.
- The driver of the Mercedes-Benz was struck and taken to hospital for treatment of a non-life threatening injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342