SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Etobicoke
Case Number: 19-PFI-247
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-PFI-247
- At approximately 1:45 p.m. on October 9, 2019, Ontario Provincial Police officers attempted to stop a Mercedes-Benz sedan in the area of Berry Road and Cloverhill Road as the 26-year-old driver was wanted on an outstanding warrant.
- When the man drove towards a police cruiser, an OPP officer discharged his firearm multiple times at the Mercedes-Benz.
- The driver of the Mercedes-Benz was struck and taken to hospital for treatment of a non-life threatening injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342