SIU Investigating York Regional Police in Relation to Toronto Collision Involving Two Teenage Boys
Case Number: 19-OVI-250
- At approximately 4:40 a.m. on October 15, 2019, a York Regional Police officer spotted an SUV – with two young occupants – in the area of Dufferin Street and Centre Street in Vaughan.
- When the officer attempted to stop the SUV, the driver fled from the scene.
- A short time later, the SUV collided with a truck in Toronto at Dufferin Street and Finch Avenue West.
- The 13-year-old SUV passenger was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. The 13-year-old driver of the SUV was also transported to hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342