Toronto Police Service Officer Charged
Case Number: 19-TSA-165
(14 November, 2019) ---
The Interim Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Joseph Martino, has reasonable grounds to believe a Toronto Police Service (TPS) officer committed criminal offences in relation to an incident that reportedly occurred on July 11, 2019. As a result, Interim Director Martino has caused charges to be laid against the officer.
The SIU was contacted by TPS on July 12, 2019 regarding a complaint - made by a woman - of a sexual nature against the officer. The alleged incident occurred in the City of Waterloo.
As a result of the SIU investigation, Constable Dharmendra Grewal is facing the following charges under the Criminal Code:
- One count of sexual assault, contrary to s. 271; and
- One count of indecent act, contrary to s. 173(1).
Cst Grewal is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 85 Frederick Street in Kitchener on December 4, 2019.
The matter is now properly before the courts. In consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342