SIU Investigating Arrest Connected to Brampton Collision
Case Number: 19-OCI-273
- At approximately 6:30 p.m. on November 17, 2019, Peel Regional Police officers began following a vehicle - believed to have been stolen – along Hurontario Street.
- Soon after police attempted to stop the vehicle, the vehicle became involved in a collision with two police vehicles and one civilian vehicle in the area of Main Street North and Queen Street East.
- The driver and passenger in the vehicle being investigated were both arrested. The 46-year-old male passenger was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342