SIU Seeking Witnesses to Interaction that Occurred in St. Catharines Walmart Parking Lot
Case Number: 19-OCI-272
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OCI-272
- At approximately 12:50 p.m. on Sunday, November 17, 2019, Niagara Regional Police Service officers attended the Walmart located at 420 Vansickle Road for an unwanted person.
- The officers located the person of interest, a 35-year-old man, in the parking lot. There was an interaction in the area of a U-Haul box van, and the man was arrested.
- He was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342