SIU Investigating Death of Man in Mississauga
Case Number: 19-OCD-277
- Shortly after 3 a.m. on November 20, 2019, police received a call about a noise complaint in the area of Runningbrook Drive and Riverspray Crescent.
- Peel Regional Police officers were dispatched, and soon after they located a person of interest in the backyard of one of the homes.
- As officers attempted to communicate with the man, a struggle ensued. In the course of the struggle, officers used several use of force options, including deployment of a conducted energy weapon.
- Shortly after the man was taken into custody, he went vital signs absent.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead after 4 a.m.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342