SIU Investigating Fatal Police-involved Shooting in Exeter
Case Number: 19-PFD-293
- At approximately 6:30 p.m. on December 3, 2019, Ontario Provincial Police officers and firefighters were dispatched to a residence on Simcoe Street for a fire call.
- While the first responders were outside the residence, Mr. Vanderwal exited the residence armed with an axe.
- There was an interaction between him and officers.
- Two officers discharged their firearms and Mr. Vanderwal was struck multiple times. He was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342