SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 19-TFI-300
- At approximately 1:30 a.m. on December 8, 2019, Toronto Police Service officers observed a stolen vehicle in the area of Vanauley Street and Queen Street West.
- The vehicle turned north onto Vanauley Street, and then east into a lane way. When the 43-year-old driver of the vehicle made a U-turn in the lane way, the vehicle became involved in a collision with a police cruiser.
- There was an interaction and one officer discharged his firearm multiple times. The man was struck one time.
- The man attempted to flee on foot but was apprehended by police. He was subsequently transported to hospital for treatment of a gunshot wound.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342