SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in St. Catharines
Case Number: 19-OFD-313
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFD-313
- At approximately 4:45 p.m. on December 31, 2019, Niagara Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to an address on 71 Rykert Street in St. Catharines after receiving a call regarding a man with a knife.
- Officers located the man, and there was an interaction.
- Two officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck multiple times.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342