SIU Investigating Fatal Vehicle Collision in Markham
Case Number: 19-OVD-314
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-314
- At approximately 7:15 p.m. on December 31, 2019, a York Regional Police officer was driving along Major Mackenzie Drive East when – in the area of Kennedy Road – a Hyundai Veloster drove past her.
- The officer proceeded to follow the vehicle.
- In the area of Ninth Line and Elgin Mills Road East, the Veloster became involved in a collision with a Toyota Corolla.
- The 68-year-old male driver of the Corolla was pronounced dead at the scene.
- The driver of the Veloster sustained no serious injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342