SIU Investigating Police-involved Shooting in Scarborough
Case Number: 20-TFD-008
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TFD-008
- On January 18, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were observing a 37-year-old man who was a person of interest in an investigation.
- Shortly after noon, officers in several unmarked vehicles proceeded to conduct a takedown of a red pickup truck being operated by the man on McCowan Road, south of Town Centre Court.
- There was an interaction, and multiple officers discharged their firearms.
- The man was struck multiple times. He was transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342