SIU Investigating Police-involved Shooting in Scarborough
Case Number: 20-TFD-008
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TFD-008
- On January 18, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were observing a 37-year-old man who was a person of interest in an investigation.
- Shortly after noon, officers in several unmarked vehicles proceeded to conduct a takedown of a red pickup truck being operated by the man on McCowan Road, south of Town Centre Court.
- There was an interaction, and multiple officers discharged their firearms.
- The man was struck multiple times. He was transported to hospital for treatment.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations