SIU Investigating Injury to Man in Georgetown
Case Number: 20-OFI-012
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-012
- On the afternoon of January 22, 2020, an individual attended the police station to report concern for a family member. As a result, Halton Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to a residence in the area of Delrex Boulevard and Mountainview Road South.
- Officers began negotiating with a man who was inside the residence.
- When the man exited the residence, he became involved in an interaction with officers.
- One officer fired plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man, and he was struck.
- The man was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342