SIU Investigating Injury to Man in Georgetown
Case Number: 20-OFI-012
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-012
- On the afternoon of January 22, 2020, an individual attended the police station to report concern for a family member. As a result, Halton Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to a residence in the area of Delrex Boulevard and Mountainview Road South.
- Officers began negotiating with a man who was inside the residence.
- When the man exited the residence, he became involved in an interaction with officers.
- One officer fired plastic projectiles from an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the man, and he was struck.
- The man was taken to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342