SIU Investigating Death of Man in Alfred
Case Number: 20-PCD-035
- At approximately 11 a.m. on February 11, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police officers attended a residence on Davista Street to assist court officials.
- Officers spoke to a man in the home. After the man informed officers he was in possession of guns, the officers left the home and set out to contain the area.
- Suddenly, the house erupted into flames.
- When the fire was extinguished, the man’s body was located in the basement. He was found deceased.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342