SIU Investigating Death of Man in Shuniah
Case Number: 20-PCD-055
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-055
- At approximately 5 p.m. on March 12, 2020 Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers responded to a residence for a man in distress. Officers also had information the man had access to firearms.
- When OPP officers neared the residence, they saw the man walking away from the residence, carrying what appeared to be a firearm.
- A short while later, the OPP officers apparently heard a gunshot and the man was located deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Michael Webber, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342