SIU Investigating Death of Man in Shuniah
Case Number: 20-PCD-055
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-055
- At approximately 5 p.m. on March 12, 2020 Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers responded to a residence for a man in distress. Officers also had information the man had access to firearms.
- When OPP officers neared the residence, they saw the man walking away from the residence, carrying what appeared to be a firearm.
- A short while later, the OPP officers apparently heard a gunshot and the man was located deceased.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Michael Webber, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342