SIU Investigating Death of Man in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 20-OCD-047
- At approximately 11 a.m. on February 28, 2020, Thunder Bay Police Service officers attended a residence after receiving a call regarding concern for an individual’s well-being. Emergency Medical Services and the Fire Department also attended.
- A man was taken into police custody and transported to hospital for treatment.
- The following day – while he was still in hospital – the man became critically ill.
- On March 8, 2020, he was pronounced dead in hospital.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342