SIU Investigating Death of Man in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 20-OCD-047
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-047
- At approximately 11 a.m. on February 28, 2020, Thunder Bay Police Service officers attended a residence after receiving a call regarding concern for an individual’s well-being. Emergency Medical Services and the Fire Department also attended.
- A man was taken into police custody and transported to hospital for treatment.
- The following day – while he was still in hospital – the man became critically ill.
- On March 8, 2020, he was pronounced dead in hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342