SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-062
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-062
- At approximately 8:45 a.m. on March 17, 2020, Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers responded to the intersection of Church Street and Dundas Street for a man in distress.
- Officers attended a nearby convenience store and after an interaction, which included deployment of a conducted energy weapon, the man was apprehended.
- An ambulance was called, and the man was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment.
- The man later succumbed to his injuries at hospital and was pronounced dead.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Michael Webber, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342