SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCD-062
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-062
- At approximately 8:45 a.m. on March 17, 2020, Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers responded to the intersection of Church Street and Dundas Street for a man in distress.
- Officers attended a nearby convenience store and after an interaction, which included deployment of a conducted energy weapon, the man was apprehended.
- An ambulance was called, and the man was transported to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment.
- The man later succumbed to his injuries at hospital and was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations