SIU Investigating Interaction in Etobicoke Preceding Man’s Death
Case Number: 20-TCD-063
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on March 21, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers responded to an Etobicoke residence in the area of Burlington Street and Victoria Street to assist Emergency Medical Services.
- Upon arriving at the location, officers arrested a 33-year-old man. Soon after, he went vital signs absent.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342