SIU Investigating Falling Death of Woman in Barrie
Case Number: 20-OCD-065
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-065
- At approximately 12:30 p.m. on March 25, 2020, Barrie Police Service officers attended an apartment building on Kozlov Street to check on the well-being of a woman.
- Officers made their way to a unit on the 10th floor.
- A short time later, the officers were made aware that a woman was lying on the ground outside of the building.
- She was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342