SIU Investigating After Man Fatally Shot by Police Officer in Brampton
Case Number: 20-OFD-075
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-075
- Shortly before 6 p.m. on April 6, 2020, Peel Regional Police officers were dispatched to a residence on Sawston Circle in relation to a domestic situation.
- Soon after arriving at the scene, officers encountered a 26-year-old man. There was an interaction which included the discharge of conducted energy weapons by two officers.
- One officer then discharged his firearm multiple times.
- The man was struck. He succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342