SIU Investigating After Man Fatally Shot by Police at Residence in Temiskaming Shores
Case Number: 20-PFD-078
- At approximately 9 p.m. on April 9, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to a residence in the area of Lakeshore Road North and Wedgewood Avenue after receiving a call about an unwanted party at the residence who would not leave.
- Soon after officers entered the residence, they located the person of interest, a 43-year-old man.
- There was an interaction between the man and the officers.
- Two officers discharged their firearms, and the man was struck multiple times.
- He was transported to hospital where he succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342