SIU Investigating After Man Struck by Police Cruiser in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TVI-082
- At approximately 6:40 p.m. on April 12, 2020, officers with the Toronto Police Service were dispatched to the area of Bathurst Street and King Street West for a robbery.
- Officers located the person of interest, who was in possession of a knife.
- The man fled on foot southbound on Bathurst Street, and the officers followed.
- At Bathurst Street and Front Street, officers deployed conducted energy weapons at the man, but the man continued to flee.
- Soon after, a police cruiser struck the man.
- The man was taken into custody and then transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342