SIU Investigating After Man Struck by Police Cruiser in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TVI-082
- At approximately 6:40 p.m. on April 12, 2020, officers with the Toronto Police Service were dispatched to the area of Bathurst Street and King Street West for a robbery.
- Officers located the person of interest, who was in possession of a knife.
- The man fled on foot southbound on Bathurst Street, and the officers followed.
- At Bathurst Street and Front Street, officers deployed conducted energy weapons at the man, but the man continued to flee.
- Soon after, a police cruiser struck the man.
- The man was taken into custody and then transported to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342