SIU Investigating Collision in Toronto Between Police Cruiser and Civilian Vehicle
Case Number: 20-TVI-084
- At approximately 11:30 a.m. on April 13, 2020, a Toronto Police Service officer was traveling westbound on Sheppard Avenue West en route to a call. Another officer was in the vehicle with him.
- In the Sheppard Avenue West and Allen Road intersection, the cruiser became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle.
- The driver of the civilian vehicle – a 63-year-old man – sustained a serious injury and was transported to hospital for treatment.
- Both officers who were in the cruiser were also taken to hospital for treatment. At this time, the extent of their injuries is unknown.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342