SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Scarborough
Case Number: 20-TFI-087
- Shortly after midnight on April 15, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were dispatched to an apartment building on Greenbrae Circuit regarding a disturbance.
- Officers made their way up to the corridor of the 4th floor where they encountered the 43-year-old man.
- There was an interaction that included one officer deploying a conducted energy weapon and another officer deploying his less-lethal shotgun.
- A third officer then discharged his firearm, resulting in the man being struck.
- The man was transported to hospital for treatment of injuries. He is in serious but not life-threatening condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342