SIU Investigating Fatal Police-Involved Shooting in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TFD-098
- At approximately 12:15 p.m. on April 30, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were dispatched to the Best Western Hotel located at 50 Norfinch Drive in Toronto. They had received information that there was a man in a vehicle in the parking lot who was in possession of weapons.
- Officers located the vehicle of interest. As an officer exited his cruiser, the man also exited his vehicle.
- There was an interaction and the officer discharged his firearm multiple times, resulting in the man being struck.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342