SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Mississauga
Case Number: 20-OFI-100
- At approximately 9:15 a.m. on May 2, 2020, Peel Regional Police officers were dispatched to the area of Burnhamthorpe Road and Cawthra Road for a collision between two vehicles.
- Before officers arrived at the scene, one of the individuals involved in the collision – a 29-year-old man – fled the scene and made his way to a residence on Holden Crescent. There, he became involved in an alteraction with people in the residence before he fled to a neighbouring home.
- Officers were notified and the located the man in the backyard of that home, in a shed.
- There was an interaction between officers and the man, which included deployment of a conducted energy weapon. When that proved ineffective, an officer discharged her firearm at the man multiple times, and he was struck.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342