SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Mississauga
Case Number: 20-OFI-100
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-100
- At approximately 9:15 a.m. on May 2, 2020, Peel Regional Police officers were dispatched to the area of Burnhamthorpe Road and Cawthra Road for a collision between two vehicles.
- Before officers arrived at the scene, one of the individuals involved in the collision – a 29-year-old man – fled the scene and made his way to a residence on Holden Crescent. There, he became involved in an alteraction with people in the residence before he fled to a neighbouring home.
- Officers were notified and the located the man in the backyard of that home, in a shed.
- There was an interaction between officers and the man, which included deployment of a conducted energy weapon. When that proved ineffective, an officer discharged her firearm at the man multiple times, and he was struck.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342