SIU Investigating Death of Man in Victoria Harbour
Case Number: 20-PCD-113
- Around 6:15 p.m. on May 20, 2020, 911 received a call from the man seeking assistance.
- Shortly after, Ontario Provincial Police officers arrived at the man’s home to check on his well-being.
- Officers knocked on the front door. When they received no response, they made their way to the back of the house where they located the man seated in a chair in the driveway.
- As the officers approached the man, the man discharged his firearm and he sustained a gunshot wound. He was transported by ambulance to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342