SIU Investigating Death of Man in Vaughan
Case Number: 20-OCD-133
- At approximately 11 p.m. on June 8, 2020, York Regional Police (YRP) was made aware of a domestic incident at an address on Jade Crescent.
- Soon after the first officer arrived at the residence, an interaction ensued between the officer and a man. Other officers then arrived and assisted with the man’s arrest.
- The man became vital signs absent, and officers provided medical assistance until paramedics arrived.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
- A YRP officer was taken to hospital for treatment of an injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342