SIU Investigating Death of Man in Vaughan
Case Number: 20-OCD-133
- At approximately 11 p.m. on June 8, 2020, York Regional Police (YRP) was made aware of a domestic incident at an address on Jade Crescent.
- Soon after the first officer arrived at the residence, an interaction ensued between the officer and a man. Other officers then arrived and assisted with the man’s arrest.
- The man became vital signs absent, and officers provided medical assistance until paramedics arrived.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
- A YRP officer was taken to hospital for treatment of an injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342