SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Burlington Collision
Case Number: 20-OVI-137
- At approximately 12:30 a.m. on June 13, 2020, a Halton Regional Police Service officer observed a vehicle of interest in the area of Brant Street and Havendale Boulevard.
- The officer followed the vehicle along Havendale Boulevard and attempted to stop it.
- The vehicle driver did not stop. At the end of Havendale Boulevard, the vehicle left the roadway, entered a wooded area and struck a tree.
- One of the vehicle's three occupants, a 29-year-old man, sustained a serious injury and was transported to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342