SIU Investigating Collision in Scarborough
Case Number: 20-TVI-138
- At approximately 8:15 p.m. on June 14, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were in the area of Markham Road and Nugget Avenue when they observed a Nissan Rogue traveling southbound on Markham Road at a high rate of speed.
- The officers commenced following the vehicle.
- At Markham Road and Sheppard Avenue, the Rogue became involved in a collision with a Ford Escape, which in turn struck a Honda Civic.
- Two women from the Escape – the 52-year-old driver and her 21-year-old passenger – were transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342