Update: SIU Continues Investigation into Man’s Fatal Fall from Balcony in London
Case Number: 20-OCD-103
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-103
- Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to this investigation.
- The scene was examined, and SIU investigators completed a canvass of the area in an attempt to locate evidence and potential witnesses. Two civilian witnesses have been interviewed. Anyone who may have information about this investigation is urged to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
- Three witness officers have been interviewed. The subject officer provided a copy of her duty notes but declined to be interviewed. Pursuant to Ontario Regulation 267/10 of the Police Services Act, subject officers cannot be legally compelled to present themselves for an interview with SIU investigators and they do not have to provide their notes.
- A post-mortem was conducted on May 10, 2020.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342