SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Brampton
Case Number: 20-OFI-158
- On June 30, 2020, police were investigating a carjacking in York Region.
- At approximately 7:45 p.m., Peel Regional Police (PRP) officers attempted to takedown the vehicle in a gas station parking lot in the area of Torbram Road and Williams Parkway.
- There was an interaction, and a firearm was discharged by a PRP officer.
- As a result, a 24-year-old man from the vehicle was struck. He was taken to hospital where he is undergoing surgery.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342