SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Brampton
Case Number: 20-OFI-158
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-158
- On June 30, 2020, police were investigating a carjacking in York Region.
- At approximately 7:45 p.m., Peel Regional Police (PRP) officers attempted to takedown the vehicle in a gas station parking lot in the area of Torbram Road and Williams Parkway.
- There was an interaction, and a firearm was discharged by a PRP officer.
- As a result, a 24-year-old man from the vehicle was struck. He was taken to hospital where he is undergoing surgery.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations