SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Hamilton
Case Number: 20-OFD-166
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-166
- At approximately 3:30 p.m. on July 7, 2020, the Hamilton Police Service received a call that was domestic in nature.
- At around 4 p.m., officers located a person of interest – a 42-year-old man – in a vehicle in a convenience store parking lot located at Cannon Street East and Gage Avenue North.
- As several officers approached the vehicle, there was an interaction and two officers discharged their firearms. The man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he remains in critical condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342