SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Hamilton
Case Number: 20-OFD-166
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFD-166
- At approximately 3:30 p.m. on July 7, 2020, the Hamilton Police Service received a call that was domestic in nature.
- At around 4 p.m., officers located a person of interest – a 42-year-old man – in a vehicle in a convenience store parking lot located at Cannon Street East and Gage Avenue North.
- As several officers approached the vehicle, there was an interaction and two officers discharged their firearms. The man was struck.
- He was transported to hospital where he remains in critical condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342